Tuesday, July 7, 2015

A Secret Park with Squirrels

We spent another month on improving our collective health; I went through an extensive anti-inflammation therapy which, as I already know, has been successful, and the dog was busy restoring his digestion. He has made progress, too, but I am yet unwilling to say that the battle is over. I still want to be sure before I start celebrating.

In the meantime, I have found a lovely little park in the very middle of our city, and it has squirrels! In order to understand my emotions, you should know that squirrels are very rare here. Moreover, these do not look like Central Asian squirrels to me; I strongly suspect that their ancestors were brought from Russia and then managed to escape and settle down here.



It took me about forty minutes to get closer to these cute creatures. I tried to be "calm as still water" and was moving ahead little by little. Finally, I guess they started seeing me as part of the landscape.



I like this very concentrated sniffing - just like a dog doing good quality nosework!



I have learned that squirrels eat grass, straw, dry leaves... their tastes are quite Spartan. I bring them some walnuts and just leave them under the trees; I hope they collect them later.



It is great fun to see wild animals in the city. I hope to see them again and to spend some enjoyable minutes in the atmosphere of almost-wild-nature, listening to the birds singing and breathing fresh air.

4 comments:

  1. They're adorable...great shots! I love the furry tufts on their ears :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are so cute! great pictures, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful photos! I had no idea that squirrels are rare where you are. They're an everyday sight in our back yard here in central Iowa. Yours look different from ours, however. The tail is more slender, and the ears are longer...and I was surprised to see the tufts of hair on the tips of the ears! Still cute, though. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Please say a few words if you feel like it - I will be very happy to read your comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...