Monday, February 13, 2017

A Hand Block Printed Vintage Russian Shawl with Mirabilis

 ...Long time, no see. I know I am supposed to write more often, but my real life has been too busy lately. I will write an update later - it will also help me to take stock of my news - and in the meantime I just want to share this fantastic vintage hand block printed shawl that I have in stock currently.

The shawl is brilliantly bright, even for a vintage piece (modern ones are mostly muted, but vintage were bold and rich). This one is especially vibrant. I love those huge flowers - they certainly make a statement - and the relaxed ease of the drawing, where flowers seem to be moving under the wind. Their playful disarray lends a lot of life to the print. I think that the lily-like flowers are actually Mirabilis jalapa, the marvel of Peru or four o'clock flower, that blooms at night - they are very popular in Russia.













This is a fantastic Russian shawl; they do not print them by hand anymore, which is a good thing, since this was a very hard and harmful work to do. However, these shawls are amazing, and I love them much more than modern mass produced specimens. For now, it is available in my Etsy shop, MulberryWhisper.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Eugenie
    I love this shawl,just so beautiful !
    Enjoy your week!
    http://helenamybeauty.over-blog.com/2017/02/le-retour-du-bob-the-return-of-the-bob.html

    ReplyDelete

Please say a few words if you feel like it - I will be very happy to read your comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...