Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Country Soaps by Marlene

...I have not written in a while - I was too tired and did not feel well. I am still tired, but I just have to share a few words about the soaps and shampoo bars I bought recently.

I wanted to try real cold processed home made soap, preferably the one made with goats milk. I have heard a lot about its beneficial properties, so when I decided that I had some money for indulgence I started browsing Etsy and found countrysoapsbymarlen. Of course the first thing to draw my attention were her great photos - soaps looked delicious, and I marveled at the pictures for a while.


Descriptions are informative and clear. I was satisfied to learn there was no water in the soaps, no synthetic musk, and all soaps are fully cured (even though I have had no experience with such soap, I knew some theory).

I wanted something unscented, as a great fan of everything natural, so I bought Unscented Goats Milk Soap, Unscented Bastille Cold Processed Goats Milk Soap and Unscented Goats Milk Shampoo bars (do not seem to be in stock right now - must be very popular!).

...But then I started browsing and found more soaps I just had to try. I have been longing for frankincense for a while, so I ordered Frankincense and Myrrh, and then Autumn Magic - its description was irresistible.

The soaps were shipped same day or next day, and arrived promptly. They are wonderful! The Frankincense one seems to be better than any perfume I have had. I put it with my cashmere sweaters - I would like them to smell of it. The Autumn Magic soap is also lovely. And the good thing is that the unscented soaps and shampoo bars smell delicious, too - they have the very normal, healthy, homely and cozy scent, almost edible - no trace of urban chemistry.

The shampoo leaves our hair clean and shiny; I wash my hair once in 3-4 days now (recently I had to wash it every two days). I need to reinstate the custom of rinsing my hair with herbs or apple vinegar; they work very well as natural conditioners. As for the soap, we are using the basic unscented soap now. It feels great, and my face and decollete look better (I have had some breakouts lately, and the soap seems to have cleaned them). I am not a believer in external means to resolve skin issues and usually focus on my overall health and diet, when I have skin issues, but this soap seems to work very well.

Now my daughter and I have fully switched to these products, and I only have two concerns: 1) I want to be able to use everything at once and I have no room for all these bars in the bathroom; 2) I am afraid to run out so I need to order in advance (it is a long way from Wisconsin to Uzbekistan). Ah, the third concern is availability of the Frankincense and Myrrh Soap; I hope Marlene continues making it. In the meantime, I need to make more money to buy more soap! Even if I do not have much room in the bathroom, I can put the bars in my closet and everywhere around the house.


7 comments:

  1. They sound so great! And that's a good idea to put them with your sweaters to give off the scent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Homemade cold process soap is the best. I make my own and it's all I use. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea to put them with your sweaters!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love homemade soap too, my skin feels much better after it. Thanks for sharing a new place.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The homemade soap sounds great, my husband is big fan of those. It might be a good idea to get some for Xmas. Thank you for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The homemade soap sounds wonderful. I have never smelled frankincense or myrrh. How cool!

    Kathy
    http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love making cold process soap! It is absolutely divine for your skin and there are so many choices of smell options! I'm glad you've had such a positive experience with your first try :)

    ReplyDelete

Please say a few words if you feel like it - I will be very happy to read your comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...