Sunday, October 5, 2014

Russian Shawl Called Prayer

There is a Russian photographer, Dmitry Chernoff (http://vk.com/id176788457), who is among my favorites because of his lovely photographs of girls and women wearing traditional shawls. Dmitry is very good at feeling the spirit of the Russian shawl and sharing it with the viewer. Just look at these photos!


 
All these pictures show the same shawl made at Pavlovo Posad, Russia. This shawl is called Prayer, and this is a very old design. The circles of flowers symbolize repetition of a prayer. It was first designed by Constantin Abolikhin in 1930-ies, and then restored by Galina Sotskova several decades later. 

This is a somewhat dark shawl in subdued colors. I love its quiet beauty; perfect for those days when you do not want attention. When you want to be left alone.

 
However it can look very striking, too - for instance, if paired with a black dress, like here. This shawl is majestic!


This is just a general photo for you; you see that the shawl's design consists of circles. They symbolize repetition of a prayer. The shawl is very balanced and would look great as a chair throw, too.




I do not have one for sale at the moment. However, you can find other vintage Russian shawls and scarves in our Etsy shop. We also carry upcycled Russian shawls which we turned into scarves.


11 comments:

  1. I like this shawl very much. I think it would suit me nicely. If you will find one please let me know, I would like to get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tanya! I like it myself! if you like, I can order one for you.

      Delete
    2. Sounds great. I will contact you by convo.

      Delete
  2. Such a piece of art! and I agree with you, paired with a black dress the shawl does look majestic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this shawl! Would love to have one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love shawls in general and this one in particular )

      Delete
  4. Какие красивые фото. Красота девушек и платка подчеркивают друг-друга :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Да, я тоже смотрю с удовольствием )

      Delete
  5. The second shawl is sooo gorgeous! I have one in green color - probably should wear it this winter

    ReplyDelete

Please say a few words if you feel like it - I will be very happy to read your comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...