Thursday, September 8, 2016

We Have a New Pet! My Daughter's Rescue Kitten.

Just two days before going back to the city from the summer house in  a remote village, we found this creature. My daughter saw her at the beach and came to pet, and the kitten followed her. I thought it was our neighbours', but no - nobody claimed the poor thing. Nobody expressed the desire to take her, too.

Malnourished and dirty, but full of courage and incredibly cuddly - she starts purring before you start petting her - she won our hearts immediately. My daughter was very sad that someone could throw the baby cat away, she just could not believe someone could do it on purpose. "Most likely, she is just lost! Wandered away!". Of course, I don't believe a small kitten would have wandered away from her mother. Most likely, someone decided to get rid of her.



We just kept feeding her and cuddling with her to make her feel safe and protected. My daughter was hopeful that we could keep the kitten, but I had my doubts. We live in apartment in the city, no garden or yard, and we have a large dog. Can we keep the cat or her life would be deficient?



I do some volunteer work as a photographer for a rescue, and I know that it is not easy to find good families for kittens. There are just too many. Actually, I also know that I can adopt out almost any animal (without grave issues), but it takes time and promotion efforts. Sometimes it takes months. So, keeping or giving away?
 

We did keep her, after consulting between ourselves. She does not need much space or food; as for the boring life in the apartment, we will try to make up for that by frequent visits to the summer house and maybe some walks in the city parks later (the latter is dangerous, too much infection). Right now her life is not boring, she keeps exploring the flat and terrorising the dog. My Malinois with jaws of steel is extremely tolerant and clearly the kitten is safe with him.

We call her Wing Chun - Chinese martial art. She moves softly and strikes hard like Yip Man. In these photos, she is still very thin and her eyes are sad. She has gained weight now and looks much happier, I will share new photos soon.

I am quite happy about my daughter's behaviour. At 10, she already understands that pets need to be cared for, every day, consistently, and that a responsible and good person would never abandon a pet. She cleans the litter box and feeds her "baby"; they play and sleep together. So, probably keeping the kitten was not a bad idea. The dog's life is not boring, too.

13 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! My heart is melting just looking at this little furry bundle! I'm truly happy that you decided to give her a forever home :) Your photos are stunning! I volunteer at the local cat shelter and we do TNR twice a year to help reduce the cat population...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Duni! We had to keep her, she is so sweet. Much fatter now!

      Delete
  2. So lovely! Our cat has had many sorts of homes - country, city, condo - across three different countries and seems to have taken them all in stride. I'm sure your kitten will adapt well to the life of a house cat and Jager will enjoy the companion ... just don't tell his dog friends. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing that your cat (Tiger?) travelled that much and adapted well. Obviously he loves you and trusts you a lot. Jager already seems to like the kitten, he keeps trying to lick her.

      Delete
    2. Ha! Humphrey has tried licking Tiger a few times and Tiger was not impressed - he does an excellent grumpy cat glower. Hehe.

      Delete
  3. Hello,
    I am so glad that this kitten has found a home!
    I am ,myself, the mother of about twenty cats,even more, often coming by themselves searchingfor some food andsome care.
    Alsohave 5 dogs, birds, pigeons,hens..a real zoo at home.
    you should be proud of your daughter so generous and protective of animals.
    Have anice wwekend!
    http://helenamybeauty.over-blog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Helena! It is amazing that you have so many animals! I am not sure if my heart is big enough... I think we will limit ourselves to one dog and cat for now. But we live in a flat. I wish we could move to a house and then there will be some birds! Thank you for all your kind words.

      Delete
  4. Hi Eugenie... Thanks for stopping for a visit with me yesterday at Hootin' Anni's.


    Such a PURRecious little darling! Of course, I'm partial to cats. Wonderful sweet thing. So cute.

    I was perusing your Google Plus before clicking on your blog link at the top...your Great great grandmother was a stunning woman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann, thank you very much for stopping by! We are very happy with this little beauty, she is a charmer!

      Thank you very much for your kind words. You have a lovely blog, I am thankful for the opportunity to follow.

      Delete
  5. Your kitten has a very interesting look - front legs are amazing (one leg is from mother, other is from father )) she has a cat`s flue probably - the nose area looks dirty (our adopted one had the same plus other sickness including kidney problems)
    is she about 8 weeks only?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a bit concerned about her nose but there was no discharge and she acted healthy. Now she is all clean and much fatter. And she might be slightly older as her teeth are changing - she bites things a lot.

      Delete
  6. Oh, she's a little perfect tiny furry thing! I believe she came to you at just the right time, and was meant to be yours and your daughter's. She is a lucky kitty, indeed! I think with all of the love you'll give her, she will never be bored in your apartment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. For pet significant others felines are the best thing to have at home and you better keep them with affection and care.https://thisispet.com

    ReplyDelete

Please say a few words if you feel like it - I will be very happy to read your comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...