Thursday, September 1, 2016

Back from Vacation!

We are back from vacation which was long and wonderful. We spent six weeks in a small village in the mountains, far from the city of Tashkent where we normally live, and it was really good for all of us, including the child and the dog.

We were walking for hours, exploring this very special place. It is called Bogiston village; it is very old, dating back to the 6th century, but very small nonetheless. People who live there are all Tajik, not Uzbek, and they speak Farsi (Persian) as a mother tongue. Fortunately for me, they speak Uzbek as well, or I would have difficulties communicating.


This is a very clean place, full of walnut trees, huge rocks, thyme and ice cold water. You can drink from any spring there, the water is delicious and definitely healthier than bottled one. At least I believe it is.


Before we left in the very end of August, the signs of autumn were already visible.


This was a small irrigation ditch, full of the same clear and cold water.



My Malinois Jager looking at the village from the hill.


Water in Uzbekistan is scarce; in the summer you can feel very clearly how special and valuable it is. After walking in the hot and dry mountains for hours, I am always very happy to find a lovely stream to drink from and wash my hands and face.


It is always difficult for me to resume my work after being away for weeks. I am bracing myself though. Took photos of a dozen of items today and will be listing them in my shop in the nearest days. Actually, I have already listed two beautiful vintage Russian shawls that you can see there. Moe to follow. 

6 comments:

  1. I am so glad you got to enjoy a nice, long holiday with your family including your dog in this very scenic spot. The water does indeed look very clean and sparkly! Your daughter has grown quite a bit too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Duni! Kids are growing so fast, I sometimes find myself in big surprise when i talk to her!

      Delete
  2. Between your words and photos I can almost imagine being there. How wonderful to be able to drink directly from the springs. Water is abundant in western Oregon, seemingly, but the truth is it's scarce everywhere and drought is just around the corner all the time.

    It's also wonderful to me that you were able to take six weeks to be there. In the U.S. it's so hard to take that much time away. I wish our culture would change, but in the meantime, we carve out what time for ourselves we can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Clare, water is scarce in Uzbekistan, too, so having clean springs around and a lake is a luxury! This is a dry country, and very hot in the summer. We have to escape in the summer; I pity those of my countrymen who can't do that. As for my vacation, I am a freelancer and can more or less plan my workload, I can even do something small while on vacation (not a lot... too busy in that house), at least to pay for food. Most people here of course cannot afford 6 weeks off, this is crazy.

      Delete
  3. It looks like such a lovely place to be on vacation! :)

    and how cool, I didn't know that Tajik speak Farsi (Persian) as a mother tongue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arctida, thank you, it is!

      ...Indeed they do, even though their Persian is slightly different. Still, the local Iran Embassy is predominantly stuffed by the Tajik as they have no difficulties communicating. And this is a lovely sounding language.

      Delete

Please say a few words if you feel like it - I will be very happy to read your comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...