Friday, August 24, 2012

A Song for Aleppo

I immensely enjoyed making this Treasury today. I was recalling my feelings about traveling in the East, and collected these items hoping to reflect my impressions, even if remotely.

I was not thinking specifically of Aleppo, but now I am. I loved the dryness of stone walls and paved roads, softened by colorful rugs and scarves, in the winding streets of the old city. Dark green leaves and bright round oranges were 'like golden lamps in a green night' against a wall of carved stone, darkened with time. Astringent smell of fig leaves. A voice of muezzin in the dawn.

I try not to read the news but stumble upon them now and then. Ancient Aleppo in danger as war engulfs northern Syria. I am choking over it. I had friends and colleagues there - wonderful people, kind and tolerant. I loved roaming the streets. People smiled at me; I never heard a rude word there...

Oh my beloved Aleppo. I hope you survive. I miss you so much, my caravanserai, my beautiful city full of wonders, smelling of spices and fragrant smoke, my treasury so far away...

I am hopelessly (blissfully) ignorant of politics. Please do not tell me about the reasons and factors. I just miss the city, and I am very sad for the people of Syria.

'My Caravanserai' by EugenieM

Pendant Boho natural gemstone blue turquoise with copper on suede casual necklace Israel art made in Israel - LenaMer
Pendant Boho natural ge...
$33.00
1920s Hand-knotted Persian Kurdish Rug - abrshop
1920s Hand-knotted Pers...
$300.00
Istanbul Photograph of Turkey - HeidiAdnum
Istanbul Photograph of ...
$30.00
1905 Antique Dated Map of Inner or Central Asia - CabinetOfTreasures
1905 Antique Dated Map ...
$16.95
Turkish - Anatolian wool kilim Pillow Cover - rug - mothersatelier
Turkish - Anatolian woo...
$119.00
Beaded Bead earrings Turquoise  Minimalist  Gift under 20   rusteam   TT team - LeeMarina
Beaded Bead earrings Tu...
$15.00
Vintage Belt Attachment Clock - vintagebuckle
Vintage Belt Attachment...
$8.00
Handmade pottery bowl beautiful green pink grey glaze -  modern ceramics brown stoneware - thecupcakekid
Handmade pottery bowl b...
$22.00
Temple Wall - StudioGoods
Temple Wall
$20.00
100% Rustic wooden bracelet Summer must have - Grimme
100% Rustic wooden brac...
$15.00
SALE...Vintage Fantastic Made in Morocco Silver Necklace - broochonmyback59
SALE...Vintage Fantasti...
$30.00
S.A.L.E- handpainted MOROCCAN LANTERN, 28 cm high, outdoor, indoor use, alfresco dining - BinkyLovecat
S.A.L.E- handpainted MO...
$21.50
Moroccan Inspiration - sweersphotography
Moroccan Inspiration
$18.00
HadarVintage Bukharian Earrings 22K Yellow Gold With Salt water Pearls (eb225) - HadarVintage
HadarVintage Bukharian ...
$1399.00
Istanbul travel photography - 8''x12'' photo - 20x30 cm - trip vintage postcard home pub restaurant office decor decoration - MundanalRuido
Istanbul travel photogr...
$30.00
light reflections, morocco - marrakesh lantern light reflections photo - fine art photo - wings of light reflections lantern photo - MariaHelenaPhoto
light reflections, moro...
$75.00

3 comments:

  1. Looks like very interesting place with a long history behind it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The place is amazing. I am sure that you would love it, given your love for shopping and travels. And I felt at home there. You would, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does look like amazing place! I hope to visit it some day.

    ReplyDelete

Please say a few words if you feel like it - I will be very happy to read your comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...