Monday, August 13, 2012

Vintage Books: A Childhood Remembered

Today I was lucky to buy a bundle of vintage children's books. All of them are in excellent condition and with lovely pictures.

One of the books is Heksen en zo (Witches and such) by Annie M.G. Schmidt, which has amazing pictures. I have never seen this book before. Just look, it is sheer magic!





Source of the scans: http://www.igrateney.ru/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=23981

I have not started reading it yet, but I am looking forward to it.

The second book I am especially happy about is The Talking Parcel by Gerald Durrell. This one we had as children, and then my younger brother left it in the taxi. My heart was broken! I have been looking for it for a while and how I have my own copy. 

I have looked at the English versions of this book in online bokstores, and some of them are really nice. But of course I wanted to have the one I had as a child, and now it is here!

The Russian edition has lovely pictures showing a very special magical world with amazing mythical creatures, all with their own personalities. The atmosphere in the pictures is very cozy, and even monsters do not look threatening despite their impressive claws and breathing fire. However I think my 6-year-old will be the best judge to decide whether they are scary or not. 

The girl heroine, Penelope, is pretty without resembling Barbie, and the boys are very nice, and all the beasts are charming. The Magician has mimics exactly like one of my school teachers, and it gives me additional pleasure making him even more alive and special to me.

Below you can see the map of the magic world followed by pictures of some of the lovely characters.





Source of the scans: http://kidpix.livejournal.com/278474.html

The remaining books are by Russian writers. Some of them boast pictures by Kalinovski, a great book artist, and they deserve a separate post. Now I will go back to reading - I am going to lie on my bed with The Talking Parcel and a big red apple. As an added benefit, I hope these books will help me with ideas for Halloween - we need to think of what to offer in our Etsy shop.



6 comments:

  1. OMG, what a wonderful books! I just love them. I have a collection of children books myself and I still re-reading them from time to time. Great finds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Tanya! My brother and me quarreled over The Talking Parcel and I had to order another copy - he wants one of his own :) And what are your favorite children's books?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! I haven't seen children's books in many, many years! What a great find!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sheryl, thank you! We love childrens' books very much - my mother and myself - we read them with our children and we read them on our own, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you have the complete collection of Vintage Spoon? You can find it all here!

    ReplyDelete

Please say a few words if you feel like it - I will be very happy to read your comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...