Saturday, August 25, 2012

Economic Benefits of Having a Dog



(this picture of us was taken by Anton Kovalenko last summer - note the ikat collar!)

Certainly my dog helps me save a lot of money. How does he do that? In so many ways!

For instance, I just dropped an egg on the kitchen floor. Instead of simply wiping it, I called my Malinois and told him to eat it. He obliged, of course. Thus, the egg was not wasted - is not it a sustainable approach at its best? As for the indirect benefits, I was not upset by the waste, and when I am not upset - I am more productive, which means more money for the family budget, and I am nicer to my family, which means that my husband works more efficiently, too, and smokes less. Well, actually he quit smoking altogether... maybe I should give a credit for that to the dog, too. I must think about the reasoning.

Another way he helps me save money is that I spend a lot of time walking him, and my clothes for walking the dog are so much cheaper than clothes for walking myself to a theater or a restaurant. My camo pants last about two years  and I wear them every day, whereas for theaters I need new silk or lace dresses each time to feel beautiful and well-dressed. Besides, walking and playing and running with him is way healthier than eating out and drinking wine or beer (cheaper, too), and certainly helps cut my medical bills.

Ah, another thing I forgot to mention: I have no need for alarm systems or personal protection weapon. He has a very impressive voice. And as a KNPV-bred Malinois from the Netherlands, he is better than a gun, while looking so much nicer. He also licks me and wags his tail - no gun in the world be able to do that.

This dog is making a lot of good for our budget, indeed. I firmly believe that.

16 comments:

  1. A dog as a money saving device. This is an interesting angle to write from!!

    Sarah
    http://acatlikecuriosity.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dogs are wonderful and loyal friends, that's for sure! I never really looked at it from a money saving angle... Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great perspective. Every time I have to go to the vet, all I think of is the cost. But now I can see the savings as well :) The benefits to my heart are the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wanting a little buddy ever since my darling Kitty passed away unexpectedly at the beginning of the summer! It's something I think about everyday -- unfortunately, my super busy grad school schedule and tiny apartment won't allow for a dog. I'm pretty sure I want to get a puppy and train it really, really well, which is a huge time commitment.

    But I love this post and they're all great reasons for having a pup! I want a buddy so badly!!!
    Thanks for giving me even more reasons to consider one!

    Erin from EBT
    http://labellaironia.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah and Trina, thank you!

    memoriesforlifescrapbooks, I am sure I can think of more savings which justify the investments. But for sure it would be difficult to accurately estimate the love they give us. I have no methodology to convert love into dollars...

    Erin, you are most welcome :) I am sorry to hear about Kitty. Hope you will be able to have a little fiend soon and be very happy with him or her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah...great points, Eugenie! SO many benefits to having a dog. Like memoriesforlife stated, the vet costs weigh heavily. Our last dog had a broken leg and then bone cancer. Our new guy had all kinds of stomach ailments and allergies....so here we are thousands of dollars later....and we would do it all over again! The love and loyalty they give us is immeasurable. My wish is that every dog sitting in a shelter or in an abusive or neglectful situation could find loving humans to share their lives with. : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photo and beautiful dog, by the way!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rinnovato, thank you :) I laughed a lot when I was writing. Of course he costs me a fortune (thank God he is quite healthy), but I spend on him willingly, and I spare no love and efforts to make him happy. It is such a pleasure to own him! And I think he is the most beautiful dog in the world :) As for my mother, she has a Dachie mix we rescued.

    Pity to hear your dogs had health issues, poor things. It is so painful to see them suffer, and they are always so patient. Breaks my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this! Love the picture! I couldn't imagine life without dogs. Honestly, when I'm at someone else's house and food gets spilled, I miss them terribly as I am forced to wipe up the spill myself. Makes having a kid a million times easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miri, thank you! Glad you share my point of view :)

      Delete
  10. Maybe I should look at our 4 cats that way. My heating bill is lower because they curl up in my lap and I often have a furry blanket when I am sleeping! I bet I can think of a few more money saving ideas thanks to my cats. Lower blood pressure, cheap entertainment..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Sandy! If they heat you in the winter, you can probably save on heating as well. And I had to laugh at your point on cheap entertainment - that is hilarious! Do they play with each other?

      I like all your cats and especially Hitch. I adore this blue color and short silky fur. Looks very much like Russian Blue Cat - a blue shadow.

      Delete
  11. :))) Очень веселый пост :))
    Жаль что я не собачница,отличный способ экономии :))

    Хотим завести рыбок, надо подумать где в них пункт экономии, кроме успокоения :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Катя, про рыбок мне трудно сказать даже... надо подумать как следует. В аквариуме нельзя пиво охлаждать?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Replies
    1. When I think of how much his toys cost, I need to find some justification :)

      Delete

Please say a few words if you feel like it - I will be very happy to read your comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...