Thursday, August 30, 2012

My Mink


I know, it is funny to love fur when you live in Central Asia. It is very warm here during the most part of the year, to put it mildly, and summer temperatures are 100F and up (40C and more). That does not change the matter for me; I love fur. I love cuddling in it, wrapping and touching it. I am aware of all the controversy, and can only say that I still love fur and buy it vintage.

I had been wanting a mink stole for a long time. I must confess I had this silly idea of wearing it to the office and using it as a shawl or wrap. And of course I was thinking of how it will look in a theater or a posh restaurant. I searched for a stole on Etsy and found a huge choice there, ranging roughly from US $50 to US $700.

I kept watching for newly added items and one day there was a stole that make me gasp. It was so beautiful! And it looked like it was in excellent condition, fresh and supple, as far as you can judge from the picture, in lovely honey color and at a steal of a price - US $85! And it had a wonderful poetic description. All descriptions in that shop were amazing - I just kept reading.

I bought it. The seller was the most pleasant person, charmingly courteous and with a wonderful style of writing. My stole arrived very quickly. I received the unexpectedly light and small box, took the weightless folded fur out and shook it - it unwrapped like a butterfly leaving the cocoon. I was breathless, and then for half an hour I just kept touching it and trying it on in many ways.

I had a fun photo shoot the next day when my brother came to visit - you can see the picture below. The pictures on the right are from the listing.



I have not had a chance to wear it yet, but I certainly will. I cannot wear this piece of indulgent luxury to the office - I do not want them to think that they pay me too much and it is time to cut my salary. And certainy I do not want to look richer than my manager.

In the meantime, my mother took it from me, saying I was still too young to wear mink and that this was her shade rather than mine. Well, I think we can share it. We do live in Tashkent, and of course a fur accessory is a toy for us rather than a necessity, especially when it is a stole. It is enchanting to feel connected to the years long gone. My mother wore the mink with a Jackie O style lace dress, color of feulles mortes (dead leaves), and with a 100-inch long pearl rope. You can rest assured, her boyfriend was impressed. I must make a portrait of her in that attire, too. 

The mink comes from walkbymoonlight, and Dianna is a pleasure to deal with and to talk to. Right now she offers another beatiful stole, dark chocolate in color, but I will be prudent. One is quite enough for the two of us. 

And what are your favorite finds from Etsy? I would love to hear a few words and to see photos!

22 comments:

  1. Congrats! Excellent buy! Very stylish! So elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!So beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos, very moody :)))
    I just checked Diana's store, there is only one problem: I can't choose! But I really love the Blue Bowler Hat, I hope I will have some sales soon, so I could buy this beautiful hat!


    http://www.etsy.com/shop/LenaMer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lena,

      The shop is really good, and the feedback is excellent so you can buy with confidence. And I am sure you will have sales, with the new photos and treasuries!

      Delete
  4. Lovely mink!
    Perfect color for brown eyes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's right, mom has brown eyes... sigh...

      Delete
  5. very nice! now buy theater tickets, quick! opera would do too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I have to! The theater season is just starting.

      Delete

Please say a few words if you feel like it - I will be very happy to read your comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...