Wednesday, August 15, 2012

My Mother's Magic Closet

Have you ever felt as a child that your parent's rooms and things are wondrous and magic? Since I am a woman, I do not know how boys feel about their fathers' suits or perfume, but I certainly remember my feelings towards my mother's room.

It was a place full of beautiful things and secrets. Silk dresses in her dark closet were whispering softly as I touched them. Her tiny jewelry box of carved wood stored earrings with gleaming pearls and several rings, one of them with a pink ruby. Her perfume was the most enchanting thing in the world, because it smelt of her. I remember spilling it once (I opened the bottle and dropped it). Our flat was imbued with the fragrance of 'Femme' by Rochas...

When my mother was getting dressed to go out, it was a magic rite, too. Brushing her hair, applying mascara and lipstick and powder, putting on her earrings... She was (and still is) the most beautiful woman in the world, ever, with her bright eyes, happy smile and gentle voice.

I tried to express my feelings in this Treasury, full of wonderful pieces. You know, we are from the Soviet Union: we did not have many belongings. My mother's jewelry box only stored one pair of gold earrings and two rings. She treasured her shoes and mended her tights because they were hard to find. But you do not know these things when you are a child, and your mother's gold ring with a tiny ruby seems the most precious thing in the world - better than a dragon's cave full of gold.


'Her Mother's Magic Room' by EugenieM

I have made purchases from some of the shops presented here and this is another way to say thank you to them for the beautiful things and excellent services and communication.

Anna Sui LBD - TripleGemini
Anna Sui LBD
$65.00
Art Deco Silver Rhodium plate rhinestone ring with Peridot Color Center size 5.75-6 - prettyinprague
Art Deco Silver Rhodium...
$48.00
Girls grey dress black with flowers /hmet/eco friendly/rusteam / team madcap/unusual design/ crazyadsteam - Maliposhaclothes
Girls grey dress black ...
$80.00
Vtg 1960s Joseph Magnin Black Sexy Slingback Pin-up Shoes 8A - LoulousVintage
Vtg 1960s Joseph Magnin...
$25.00
Winter Lights 8x8 Photograph - christmas lights holiday decor magical holiday photography - ellemoss
Winter Lights 8x8 Photo...
$30.00
Evening Purse. Little Black Velvet Festive Wristlet. Made to order. - OseArt
Evening Purse. Little B...
$59.00
Modern Earrings Rainbow Mystic Quartz Argentium Sterling silver Rainbow Green Emerald Minimalist Jewelry - daimblond
Modern Earrings Rainbow...
$21.00
Vintage 1950's Black Strapless Couture Formal Wedding Circle-Skirt Rockabilly Bombshell Evening Cocktail Party Dress - KMalinka
Vintage 1950's Blac...
$295.00
Hair  Bobby Pin. Hair Clips. Red grapes. Girl accessories amethyst purple white berry children - MelashaCat
Hair Bobby Pin. Hair C...
$12.00
Art Deco 1920's Fleur de Lis Rhinestone Clip on Sterling Silver Chain Bridal Pendant OOAK Silver Screen Dreams - prettyinprague2
Art Deco 1920's Fle...
$48.00
Vintage wine decanter bottle KY DR8-230 plum - AGardenCottage
Vintage wine decanter b...
$24.95
Artisan Perfume Oils Pick Any Ten Sample Vials Set - BlackBaccara
Artisan Perfume Oils Pi...
$30.00
Vintage Print of Floral Envelope w Bird Small Cushion - Maisonvogue
Vintage Print of Floral...
$13.00
Original long black and gold earrings with tassels. Party Fashion evening jewelry Sale Christmas in july CIJ. oht rusteam ukrteam - ArsiArt
Original long black and...
$13.00
Botanical Bleeding Hearts 8 x 8 Pink Green Black White Scanography Visual Poetry Romance Love - brigettamargarietta
Botanical Bleeding Hear...
$25.00
Dark Fairy Tale Dress Vintage 80s Black Strapless Dress Full Skirt w/ Lace Crinoline Ruched Bodice Coffin 5/6 XS S - walkbymoonlight
Dark Fairy Tale Dress V...
$45.00

3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous treasury! You know what this did for me? Remind me to be a much more alluring mama than I currently am!! Must tone down the skinny jeans + tunics and up the silk + tassel quotient!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very sweet post. I do remember those days too. I also remember the cologne my mom wore. She always smelled so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa, thank you! I was thinking the same about myself, you know. I do have silk and vintage fur and lace but we do not see them often as there are so few occasions to wear those. However I think I just need to wear them more often, regardless of whether there is a reason. And overall I need to try to bring more magic into our everyday lives. I do try, for instance we tell fairy tailes in the evening in the dark room with candles lit, but I should do more.

    Thank you, Sheryl.

    ReplyDelete

Please say a few words if you feel like it - I will be very happy to read your comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...